It may seem strange to be talking about fire insurance policies when much of the country is dealing with massive amounts of rain thanks to Hurricane Earl and Tropical Storm Hermine, but those folks who have homes, or summer homes, in Vermont might be interested to know that Foremost Insurance Group is expanding their Dwelling Fire program in that state effective today. They’re also introducing some new products in their Dwelling Fire Insurance line that are specifically designed for various types of properties (vacant, rentals, owner-occupied). Landlords and other rental property insurance customers will be glad to hear that there are broader underwriting guidelines and bigger discounts.
All new business will be written on the new product lines, and current customers will be moved into the new products as their renewal dates occur.
So what do the new products include? Here’s a list, courtesy of The Insurance Journal:
* Financial responsibility scores are being used as a rating parameter for landlord business with a discount of up to 20% for superior financial responsibility (new business only).
* Rental properties up to 15 years old may qualify for an age-of-home discount of up to 25%.
* Customers with another personal lines or qualifying life policy with Foremost, Farmers, Bristol West or 21st Century may qualify for a discount.
* Landlords with multiple properties insured with Foremost may qualify for a discount of up to 10%.
* Unique discounts for landlords who belong to a landlord association, use a property management company and perform tenant screening.